Maxwell MacOdrum came to Carleton College in 1944 when he was appointed Executive Assistant to Dr. Henry Marshall Tory, President of the University.
The following year MacOdrum was appointed Vice-president of Carleton, and became President of the University in 1952, following the death of Dr. H. M. Tory.
MacOdrum is a name often overheard in the classrooms and tunnels at Carleton University. The five story Library was named in honour of former Presbyterian Minister Dr. Murdoch Maxwell MacOdrum for his lifetime of dedication to the University community. Today the Carleton University MacOdrum Library provides access to a variety of research materials, including more than three million books, journals, government documents and newspapers.