The Ottawa Ladies' College was established in 1869 with the objective to improve the quality of women’s education in Canada.
It was believed that intelligent and cultured women resulted from education in academic disciplines such as languages, mathematics, and the sciences, as well as in athletics, handicrafts and household arts. The non-denominational College offered women the opportunity to continue their studies from the first grade to the post-secondary level. The Ottawa Ladies' College was founded by Henry Franklin Bronson in conjunction with the Presbyterian Church of Canada, and was sold to Carleton’s first President H.M Tory and Vice president M.M. MacOdrum in 1942 as the future location of Carleton College.